Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Reunions

I love a reunion. Seriously, something about seeing people I used to know, catching up, hanging out - it is so much fun to me! Take today for instance... I took my kids (and my mom) to a "Flag Team" reunion from high school. That is, a reunion of people who were on the flag team at our high school, all kind of around the same time... Now, I was only on the flag team my 1st two years of high school, but I did make some very close friends (some with whom I am still very close) there and OF COURSE had some great times. But many of these are people I only knew through flags, did not really hang out with then or afterward. Do I really care where these people are now? (No offense anyone!) Maybe not, and I'm sure many of them didn't or don't care what my life became. But I LOVE a reunion. And I will tell you, I had a blast. I brought my kids (totally obnoxious of me since there are so many of them) and they got to swim (and swim and swim and swim and swim). It was kind of surreal. The voices were tripping me out because they were all so familiar, but everyone looked different (but the same too). And I got to catch up with people that I never would have imagined having the opportunity to catch up with... And I got to see people that I have been wanting to see and needing an excuse... And I got to develop new respect for people I used to know - seeing where their lives ended up and what they made of themselves. It was so much fun. And my kids had so much fun! (No really, Jason and Hattie swam for like 4 hours straight.)
Soooo... point is - don't knock a reunion, however small or insignificant it may seem. Choose to have fun and not judge. It can be quite enlightening. Seriously. And even if you're not enlightened, you should at least be entertained. It was so great to see everyone! That sounds cheesy, but it's true.

3 comments:

Jayme said...

glad you guys are on here!

Anonymous said...

Amber,
I had a wonderful time as well. I loved seeing your kids, they are all so beautiful and unique!!! I always wanted 4 kids, but settled on 2, since fertility was hard on Ed and me.

Anyways, loved catching up....and you don't live far...we could catch up...this time with my two kiddos!! How old is Hattie?

Heather said...

Welcome to the blogging world darling -- it was great to see you yesterday too. I think we were all sort of thinking the same things -- you can see my train of thought over the last few weeks here: mizhthr.blogspot.com

When or where we ever get together again is a question at this point, but I'm glad we got to spend an afternoon together and see how everyone turned out. I think that was the most fun of all.

PS Your kids are adorable!