Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Parker Wayne

1/20/2011 2:39am
6 lb 10 oz, 18 in

My contractions began just after midnight. They felt pretty strong, but similar to what I have been experiencing the past couple weeks. I started keeping track at that point. 15 minutes apart. Dr. Lawton said they had to be 5 minutes... Okay. 11 minutes. Ouch, that one hurt a bit more. Hmmm, I'll wait for two more and then wake up my mom. 9 min. That one wasn't as strong. 7 min. Oh my ouch, they are definitely progressing. Now I need to go to the bathroom. Uh, oh, looks like I'm bleeding. It's bright red. The Dr. said I should expect some blood, but that doesn't seem right to me. So I woke up Mom and she told me to go take a shower... I did, and the contractions just kept coming. Like 2 or 3 in that 10 minutes. Ouchy ouch ouch ouch. I hear Mom blow-drying her hair. That's good. We're almost ready to go. Text Trina and Barb. Text Rick. OUCH! I could hardly bring my bags into the front room.

3 more contractions on the way to the hospital. Did I say I was going to try this without drugs? F that. Seriously. That's what I said. Give me the freaking drugs!

When the nurse checked me upon arrival (right at 2am,) I was 5 cm. I had never actually felt 5 cm before. Every other time I've gotten my epidural at 3cm. And we had to use Pitocin to progress the contractions/labor. Not this time! 5 minutes later the anesthesiologist was there. Nurse checked me again. 6 cm. Drug Lady started prepping and my contractions were right on top of each other. Barely a couple of minutes between the contractions. She got the needle in, and she inserted one dose, but she didn't have a chance to put the catheter in for the repeated doses before another (extremely painful) contraction hit me. I couldn't stop my abdomen from shaking during the contractions. The anesthesiologist was very very smart! She pulled out the needle and told me that the epidural would kick in in about 15 minutes. And it would last about an hour and a half. "That should be enough for you to have the baby." Excellent. Nurse checked me again (it took the anesthesiologist about 5 minutes to insert the drugs) and I was 8 cm. My doctor walked in. Chit chat. Prep. Doctor checked me, and broke my water. She looks up at me and says "Okay, you want to have a baby? Let's push on your next contraction..." What? Are you serious? I'm ready? Okay, let's go...

As we were getting ourselves ready I had another contraction. The epidural definitely took the edge off, but I could still feel things. Hmmm, this is interesting? Alright, lets get set. I pushed, but I wasn't having a contraction. Okay. I can wait. Haha. Here's one. Oh, by the way, I think I was at a +2 station or something ridiculous. Super high. So the first push was just to get the baby down into position. Excellent, here we go, for reals now. Deep breath. One, two, (HOLY CRAP I CAN FEEL THE HEAD COMING OUT! NO REALLY, I AM TEARING IN HALF!! oh wait, I have done this before, I can do this, I can do this, okay, I'm gonna go for it...) "AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH" I screamed really loud. No, that's an understatement. It was a primal experience. I kind of GROWLED or ROARED or something. I felt my body opening up enough to spit this baby out. People from outside came in to see what all the screaming was about. Oh yeah, that was it. One push, one scream. Welcome to the world Baby Parker! It was 2:39am. Forty minutes. The nurse still had to do all the admitting paperwork. About half an hour later I felt the epidural kick in all the way. Whoooooo Hooooo!

That's the story. He's an angel. I cannot describe the jubilation I felt/feel. Except I'm thinking exhaustion is starting to kick in.

Not sure how coherent this all was (I still haven't slept), but I wanted to let you all know... :-) Haven't seen Rick yet, but he HAS called to try to badger me into giving him the van so that his "friend" and her daughter will be able to fit in it while she is taking care of the kids for him. Oh, and he IS supposed to drop by this afternoon to take care of that DNA test. Proud Daddy that he is. I was trying SO HARD not to cry...

A couple pics of my "superhero baby":


4 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

Congratulations!! Glad everything seems healthy! Much love to you & your family! We think of you guys often!

Amy Jamieson Photography Blog said...

Awww so cute! I am sad to think that he might have missed the birth of his last baby out of anger :(

And,I really pray that he looks at what he is doing in his life as well. Any *friend* is still etra marital when you are legally married :( He should look at the situation and realize that forgiveness goes BOTH ways :( :( :(

I am sad but ooohh sooo happy for YOU and Parker!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! What a story you have to tell. Parker is here, and what a blessing he will continue to be. All my love.

Kristie said...

Baby Parker is so beautiful! Congrats Amber.....you are one strong Mama and you will get through this! Love you!