Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tuesday Again!

It's only been a week, so I'm not feeling too bad about being a blogging slacker this time. I made it to the gym all week last week (M - F) and have successfully gone both days this week as well. Whoo hoo! Success! I haven't successfully gotten myself to stop eating, but the sweets seem to be disagreeing with me these days. Should make it easier to at least eat BETTER, if not LESS.

I've started reading some parenting manuals to help me govern my household a little better. Actually just to help me manage (and raise) the children. The first one is called "Between Parent and Child" by Haim Ginott. The second one is "Children: The Challenge" by Rudolf Dreikurs. These books have given me lots of insight into better relating with my children, and suggestions on how to "lead" more effectively. A little strange (and VERY difficult) but I am starting to see some improvement. Although sometimes it seems like the extremity of certain situations maybe heightened, the problems seem to be resolving themselves much more quickly.

One chapter I read today suggested that a parent should NEVER interject themselves between fighting children (assuming there is no potential for fatal injury), and I thought this to be fairly shocking of a concept. For a parent it is so hard to NOT say "Share" or "Take turns" or "Be nice" or "Apologize" when we hear our children quarreling. So, I plan to take this suggestion to heart. Actually I have already started and although 20 minutes ago I was ignoring a deluge of screaming and crying, right now my house is silent. All four children are calmly playing and/or watching television peacefully. Jason was even the one who figured out that Breanna was actually crying because she caught her finger in something. Brilliant, I tell ya!

When I hear the THUMPING of my children beating on each other (yes, it happens!) my stomach turns in circles. I want so badly so stop it. But until there is first aid to be administered (without judgement, of course) it is not of my business. I honestly feel really good about it so far. I know I can remember doing (and receiving) my share of thumping when I was younger...

My newfound skills have given me newfound confidence, and now only increased my desire to grow our family. I HAVE always wanted 5, after all.

1 comment:

Shannon Nielsen said...

Thanks for the references I'll have to check those books out. The girls are getting old enough to talk back (have been for a while actually) and beating up on each other happens more often now that we have a boy in the mix, albeit the youngest at 1.5yrs! You're right it's so easy to jump in to stop the quarreling and never thought of it enhancing their social/problem solving skills by allowing them to work it out themselves, even when it's an awful and awfully annoying fight. So thrilled for you guys on #5. Post more about how the pregnancy is going and day to day Thomson excitement!!