Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2 Mothers

I have known many mothers. Some I have looked up to. Some I have (regretably, but honestly) looked down on. Most I have learned from. I'd like to talk about a couple of them. I hope they do not mind.

When I had Hattie, I was in the Fullerton First Ward. She was my first child, and I went back to work when she was 8 weeks old. I was serving as the Primary Secretary, and the Primary Chorister was named Kristen Hudson. She was a beautiful, happy, full of life woman. She had just (in January) had her 4th child. I was so impressed with her. I remember her children; I remember her smile; I remember many things she said to me about her experience as a mother. She comforted me by telling me she had to work when her oldest child was born. She parented 4 children (one son was particularly challenging!) with grace and (what always seemed to be) ease. To this day, I draw from her strength often. I try to send her Christmas letters each year, and I look forward to the chance of getting one from their family. She is an exceptional mother who always inspired me.

I finally got to stay at home with Hattie after we sold our first house and moved in to an apartment in Anaheim. In the Anaheim 2nd Ward, I met Tracy Schultz. Coincidentally, she was also a mother of four, and I was still a mother of one (although I eventually got pregnant with Jason.) I was a Primary teacher to the 8 year old class, and her oldest daughter (and, strangely, her half-brother) was (were) in my class. All these years later, I will admit that Taylor was my absolute favorite student in the class- very studious and soooo sweet! I don't think it was any secret that I adored her! Tracy was a laid-back and realistic mom. She handled her children lovingly, and never took herself too seriously. She seemed to truly enjoy her life and her job, and she could always laugh at the most difficult of circumstances. From where I stood, she was happy and never overly critical of herself. Again, I was impressed and inspired by the example she set. We have since re-connected through Facebook, and I continue to learn from her and her family! I am grateful for the friendship she has extended to me.

It may seem silly or self-serving, but I wanted to offer tribute to these mothers who have (probably without even knowing it) helped me to be (and WANT TO BE) a better mom. I meet women often, especially at church, and I see them looking at me the same way I looked at these women. If I can inspire anyone as a mother, I am honored to do so. I love my children; I love my job.

No comments: