Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Disability

My husband has filed for disability.

We've reached a new low in this "process" as any support has been suspended indefinitely. Until he gets this straightened out. Many people told me to be cautious because he "could" quit his job in order to avoid paying child support. I KNEW Rick would NEVER quit. It is unlike him to blatantly disregard his responsibilities. He has a great deal of pride. However, his work will now "not let him" go back to work until his whole back thing gets figured out. It's like quiting legitimized, as far as I'm concerned. Guess his mom won't have to worry about me leaving him enough to live on. I'm more worried about if there will be anything left over for his six children. Awe-freaking-some.

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. Although going to work does not seem like a practical option with so many small children, especially a newborn nursing baby. Plus I couldn't make enough to pay for the childcare. Or half of the childcare.

Suddenly we're in a completely different place. I am still interested in any attempt at reconciliation. With a lot of commitment, a lot of faith, and a lot of therapy. But I get it. For sure. He's not. He's got a girlfriend. A new life. A plan? Is he starting over? What happens to these kids? I'm not sure. Shocking. And absurd.

Lots to think about. Lots to figure out.

1 comment:

shellopez said...

Oh honey...what an unbelievable situation. I don't know if you've explored all your options for assistance- but that may be an option. Thanks to be God for the roof over your head, and you are RIGHT- daycare almost eats my entire (part-time)check for 1 child. Probably not an option. Clearly you are an expert at being frugel (with 5+ kids). Sooooo- it will work out, and it is temporary...hang in there girl! You are doing an awesome job.