Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Music. (For Charisse)

Everyone I have ever met has been surprised to learn this fact about me, but, I love country music. Not for dancing, but for listening. I love the stories, the sillies, the sentiment. I think country music can make up the soundtrack to your life better than any other type of music. It inspires me. I started listening to country music when I was in high school. For some reason, a bunch of the kids in my school (and around) started going country dancing at the "Neon Cactus" a bar/lounge at the Disneyland Hotel. They had a country band play there (I think it was 3 nights a week) and they'd do line dancing lessons from 8 til 9 and they'd play music after. Of course if you were under age, they would kick you out at 10, so as far as we were concerned it was lessons from 8-9 and dancing from 9-10. It was kind of a nice, wholesome (mostly) activity for a bunch of high school kids. Most of the kids I went with grew out of the "country music phase" but I never have. Still prefer it to any other. I do enjoy a good dance tune, and I like to dance in general, but mostly I prefer my dance music to be from the 90's (when I was frequenting bars and clubs) and 80s (when I actually listened to pop music more regularly)...

I love karaoke, love to sing, although my voice is kind of hit or miss. I will sing most any type of music (as long as I am fairly familiar with the song) but I can never guarantee the quality, and I always prefer country. I like attention; I like to perform. A detriment to my marriage, maybe, but not necessarily a fault.

I do not play a single musical instrument. I did, however, learn how to play one half of "Heart and Souls" on the piano when I was very young and never forgot it. Thanks to Claudia, the girl who lived across the street. I think. I'm not sure. That's just how I remember it. I would love for my kids to learn piano, but I long for one of them to play the violin. It is my favorite instrument. But, overall, I'm really not into the MUSIC so much as the lyrics of the songs, which is why country music will always have my heart.

Soundtrack of My Life:


2 comments:

Moi said...

And then, there is always this little country tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMElCWks1b4

Amber said...

Love it! Thanks, Darling!