Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Two Conversations

At Dinner:
Jason - "Mom, are you going to marry Brian?"
Me - "I don't know, Jason.  If I did, how would you feel about that?"
Jason - "I think that I would feel......weird."
Me - "Weird, huh?  Well, yes, I guess me getting married to someone else would be weird!"
Jason - "No, Brian..."
Me - "Me marrying Brian would be weird?"
Jason - "Yes."
Me - "Well, I am not planning to marry Brian, but if I did, how would that be weird?"
Jason - "Because if we lived with Brian, Papa and Grandma wouldn't come visit.  Because they don't like Brian."

Wow.  Now, the truth is that Papa and Grandma do not have a problem with Brian.  They like him just fine.  They just 'prefer' that I date someone who is more capable of 'taking care' of my family - FINANCIALLY.  Of course, because right now, they are shouldering that burden.  It sure would be nice if they could pass the torch.  We all get it.  But I thought it was enlightening and interesting how this reality translated into Jason's mind.  As if they would never visit, even if they ACTUALLY didn't like Brian.  They weren't too fond of Rick and they still came to visit!!  Hahahaha!  Anyway, the conversation went on and I was able to convince him that he had nothing to worry about.  Now he just keeps saying "...if you marry a guy that..." and comes up with all sorts of interesting ideas!

During Derek's bath:
Derek - "Mom, I want some bath toys. Do you have any bath toys?"
Me - "We don't have bath toys, sorry."
Derek - "Daddy has LOTS of bath toys."
Me - "That's nice."
Derek - "I wish I could go and live with Daddy."
Me - "Wouldn't that be fun?  They sure have a lot of fun things!  And you wouldn't have to go to school!"
Derek - "Yeah!  We would be homeschooled!"

Oh my gosh.  The thought of that woman homeschooling my children is so absurdly ridiculous that I cannot even begin to describe it.  Thank goodness they cannot choose their custodial parent until they are old enough to know better.

Today was another crazy one, but it was a good day.  I love my smart, insightful, emotional kids.  They truly are amazing!

No comments: