Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Parent Teacher Conferences

Oh my goodness.  My kids are BRILLIANT.  I am so proud of them.  It is wonderful to meet with their teachers and have all of their positive attributes being reiterated to you!  I am such a proud proud mommy right now.

Hattie is in 5th grade.  Her teacher, Mrs. Young, is amazing.  Sometimes well-experienced teachers are burnt out, but this woman is full of teaching.  She is constantly teaching the kids something valuable and useful.  Hattie is always telling me "Mrs. Young says...." with some amazing tidbit that will help her in her life.  I LOVE it.  In class, Hattie is helpful and kind, even though she still talks to her neighbors a little too much.  She loves to read (her Accelerated Reader goal has been quadrupled at this point) and her writing is improving dramatically (homeschooling third grade did not help her writing skills progress much!)  She needs to work on math facts (a little time-consuming for her) and proofreading her writing.  Yay!

Jason is my 7 year old third grader.  If you haven't already heard (I only say it every OTHER day) he skipped first grade.  Ms. Parker didn't even know he was the youngest kid in her class!  He got Student of the Month in November, and she said he was an "EASY PICK."  Not only is he one of the smartest kids in class (he loves learning, loves a challenge) he is also respected by his peers.  He was voted Classroom Rep for the Student Council and does a great job of attending the meetings and reporting the happenings to the entire class.  She said he is a "leader."

Derek is only in Kindergarten, but we can already tell he has a quick mind.  He is excited to learn to read (he's getting those sight words memorized!) and is very popular among the kids.  He is one who will never have trouble making friends.  Her notes on his report card actually said he is a "wonderful little boy."  How can you resist that sweet face, even if he is oblivious at times?  We need to be reading more and Mom needs to be more diligent about making sure his homework gets done each week.  Grateful for teachers who are patient with ME.

All of their teachers got our Christmas Card this year, and everyone made comments about our adorable family.  How cute we are!  I didn't know you had so many kids!  I hadn't realized you are a single mom!  It was a great opportunity to let them in on some of the REALITY the kids are facing here at home.  Sometimes it helps for the teachers to know that life is hard.  Nice part is they wouldn't have guessed.  We are doing our job! 

Days like yesterday are what  this life is all about.  I love my life, love my job, LOVE LOVE LOVE my kids.  Grateful for the family and friends who fill me with love and support so that I can get through each day.  So very grateful.  :-)

No comments: