Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Audience

Writing a blog is a weird thing.  Really, for me, it is more like a public journal.  I am a little selective about the subject matter, but overall I just pour my heart out and let a bunch of people read it.  Rick has accused me of being an attention whore (many many times) and sometimes I wonder if that is true.  He says the blog is just another method of me getting attention and validation.  Maybe it is.  Although I get very little validation from my blog readers...  If that was my "purpose" I would be sorely disappointed.  Carolyn said that it is my "public pity party."  Hmmmm.  I disagree strongly with that statement as well.  I don't think I spend much time on here feeling sorry for myself.  So, what is my purpose?  Do I really think that what I say is of such importance that other people should be reading it?  Eeehhhhh, sometimes.  At times, I have actually been called insightful by many intelligent people.  Maybe I do have some valuable insights to offer people - friends and strangers alike!  I know from my experience with this blog that it has helped others begin on a path to emotional healing.  I know that several women have be inspired and encouraged by reading about my journey.  I know that there are many out there reading, even though I don't always know who or how or why!?!!?

Since I got my "feedjit" widget, I can tell some of the places that people are clicking from.  I can tell which places are "regular" visitors, and I can assume who those readers may be based on their locations.  Through a little bit of investigative work, I do know who a few of my regular readers are.  There are other places, however, that are clicking in, that I have know idea who you are.  It is a little weird.  As I have been posting my entries to facebook, I get a lot more readers, and I can tell that clicks are coming through those posts.  But, I can only guess who is reading and why.  Especially the why.

Why am I writing? Why are you reading?  I can really only answer the first question, and sometimes I'm not even sure about that.  I do like having an audience.  I always have.  I love to write.  I honestly think I am good at it.  The concept of a blog is interesting to me because it gives people an option.  Read if you want, if you are interested, or you are welcome to ignore it.  I know that the people who choose to click through are reading because they want to know what I have to say.  I guess that in and of itself is very validating.  It is rare that I get comments, but usually they are supportive and for that I am grateful.  I'm sure that at first (especially) there were people reading that were just following the train wreck soap opera that was ME.  I was emotional and angry and the DRAMA of the situation was fascinating.  However, I think I've settled down a great deal over that past year and a half.  I know that I have come to a steady place emotionally, and I am grateful to my family and my Heavenly Father for helping to get me here.

I'm not sure what the point of this entry is.  I just really felt like writing and I find myself fascinated by the idea that someone is out there reading and caring about my random thoughts and feelings.  I would love to hear from you, even the ones who're only reading so that you can report back to Rick.  I still have nothing to hide.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you have many readers from Salt Lake City? or Sandy?

Shamrock said...

Amber,

I am the Dallas reader, but I suspect you already know that. If you want to know why this particular reader follows your blog, it's because it helps me in my own situation (if you remember) and trying to learn to trust again and rebuild all that was lost. You have given me that hope since I can look at your situation objectively, but I can't for my own. It helps me to understand the repentance process that both you and my husband are sharing. Both of you seem to be sharing a simialr path Spiritually, so it helps me to believe in him, as trusting him would be too hard without your insights. He and I read your blogs together, and he tells me you are able to verbalize what he cannot.

The short of it is: you are helping to open my eyes and heart again to the man that I love, despite him hurting our family so deeply. Through your blog, you have shown there is redemption, that the Atonement is real, and healing is possible. You have been an amazing gift for our family, and I thank you for that.

I apologize for not showing my gratitude to you more often. Please forgive me.